RIL has more than 6000 members. Over 60% of all who have a MSc degree in civil engineering belong to the Association. Nearly 100 % of the civil engineering students are enrolled as junior members of RIL. The Society of Heating Engineers LIVI is also a member of RIL.
RIL's members are acting in different technical groups:
- Energy and Building Services
- Real Estate and Construction
- Soil and Ground Construction
- Building and Construction Technics
- Bridge Engineering
- Routes, Traffic and Logistics
- Environmental Engineering
RIL's technical groups each deal with the problems in their branch of building. They prepare RIL's statements and their initiatives develop the building branch. Divisions also deal with the needs of publications and education.
RIL has over fifty committees. They handle
- technical matters
- quality control of certain building
- the society's internal activities
- co-operation with other societies, ministries etc.
- post-graduate education
- standards and codes of practice which RIL publishes
In co-operation with associations of technicians and BSc civil engineers RIL grants authorisation to persons who have passed building and construction examination. Competence certification is granted for instance to
- project managers
- designers (concrete, steel etc.)
RIL has drawn up a special code of honour for the members concerning the ethical aspects in civil engineering practice.