An essential part of RIL's activities is the internationalisation of members of the building and facility business and of the members of RIL itself. RIL collaborates with many international organisations and cooperates in international scientific and technical projects. RIL grants scholarships for technology students for their international practice and supplies international jobs via the RIL exchange programme.
International matters are coordinated within RIL by the committee for foreign matters. The committee consists of a chairman who is appointed by the board, and four internationally-experienced members. RIL's managing director presents subjects to the committee.
The internationalisation of members is promoted by the Internationalisation Section' to which every RIL member who is interested in international matters can belong. A management group which is selected from the section members directs the activities of the section.
The planning of the international activities is carried out as part of the planning process for RIL's general activities. The current themes that RIL wants to affect have included the following:
- Internationalisation education at universities
- The contents of the European Unions frame programmes
- The European compatibility of M.Sc. (tech.) education
- The European ethical instructions for a M.Sc. (tech.)
- The directive for public acquisitions
MembershipS in international organisations
RIL is a member of some of the central international organisations:
- IABSE, International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering
- ISCCBE, International Society of Computing in Civil and Building Engineering
- CIB, International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction
- IACORDS, International Association for Cold Region Development Studies
- IFHP, International Federation for Housing and Planning
- IPA, International Permafrost Association
- ECTP, The European Construction, built environment and energy efficient building Technology Platform
- SPARCS (project), Sustainable energy positive & zero carbon communities
Co-operation with international organisations for civil engineers
RIL cooperates with its equivalent foreign organisations. The exchange of information in matters that are important for our professionals is continuous.
- ASCE, American Society of Civil Engineers
- JSCE, Japan Society of Civil Engineers
- ICE, Institution of Civil Engineers, Iso-Britannia
- SVR, Svenska Väg- och Vattenbyggares Riksförbund
- NIF, Norske Sivilingeniørers Forening
- IDA, Ingeniørforeningen i Danmark
- EEL, Eesti Ehitusinseneride Liit, Estonia
- LBS, Latvijas Buvinzenieru Savieniba
- LSIS, Lietuvos Statybos Inzinieriu Sajunga
- RSCE, Russian Society of Civil Engineers
Countless members act as RIL representatives in international organisations. The representatives are normally chosen at the organisation's relevant general meetings. RIL provides the organisation with suggestions.